Polyurethane Odor Q & A’s

Remove Polyurethane Smell
Click on image to enlarge
 
  • Guide

How to Get Rid of Polyurethane Odor

Question:
I just had my first floor wood floors stained and coated with polyurethane. The odor from the polyurethane is really bad. Do you have any products that will eliminate it?

Our first floor is basically an open area about 1,200 SF that we stained. You can smell the solvent odor on our second floor and the basement also.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Byron, MO

Answer:
Sorry to hear about your problem. We can certainly help you.

What you are experiencing occurs quiet frequently. Basically, solvent vapors are emitted as the polyurethane dries and this process will continue as the solvent content is depleted. To solve this problem, scatter VAPORSORB™ Vapor Absorbent Granules on the floor that you have applied the polyurethane on. Leave for a few hours or overnight to give it time to draw out the remaining solvent vapors and to absorb them. Sweep up and repeat, if necessary, until all the fumes are eliminated.

In addition, place SMELLEZE® Paint Smell Deodorizer Pouches in the basement and your second floor. Use 1 pouch per room or approximately every 150 square feet. This product will remove the remaining polyurethane smell and chemicals that are floating around in your home air. If you have an AC/Heating forced air system that recirculates air, you can also place the SMELLEZE® pouches on your cold air return ducts to filter out the solvent vapors when the system is running.

This will solve your polyurethane odor problem and clean your air by eliminating the polluting chemicals. Please click on the links for more info and to order.

Comments

  1. Maia says:

    Hello, not sure if someone can help but hopefully so! I did a small project which included paper mache boxes covered in a basic mod podge (basically water and glue) and then lastly, I sprayed with a few coats of clear satin polyurethane. I hadn’t taken the smell issue into account prior to starting the project. I’m putting body soap inside of the boxes and giving away as gifts but I don’t want to do that if I cannot get rid of the polyurethane smell. Is there anything I can do to get rid of or at least lessen the odor? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Leave a Comment, Reply or Question

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Captcha Captcha Reload